Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The new year....

People don't keep new year's resolutions. Well, okay, some of us do, but most of us fail anywhere from a day to six months into our resolutions. We don't write every day or exercise regularly or whatever it is we've promised ourselves we'll do in the coming year.

But we still keep making resolutions. We still keep thinking that's going to  change, that this year will be the year we finally write a novel or lose 20 pounds or save our pennies long enough so that we get to take that dream vacation to Argentina.

Why do we do it? Why do we keep resolving to learn new languages, climb mountains, and watch less television?

Hope. Faith. Habit. Because we're all crazy, doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. Maybe we know we'll probably fail, but if we don't try, we'll most definitely fail.

Are you making resolutions this year? Why?

2 comments:

  1. I have made a list of writing GOALS for 2010 - I only allowed myself to list things that are within my direct control, rather than the crazy dream stuff. ;)

    p.s. Still can't comment with Firefox but I.E. works. Weird. But... yay! Comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make resolutions like I make 'to do' lists, sometimes they get done, sometimes they don't. Is that bad? =)

    ReplyDelete