Friday, December 11, 2009

Quotable Quotes

Collecting quotes is a hobby I picked up from Jordyn. I have to say, it's pretty addictive; I'm always scribbling something down, from a television show or website or book, in my notebook, a pocket-sized black Moleskine. In fact, that's my second quote notebook; I already filled a cool one from Paperblanks.


These are words I collect because they reveal truths, in words more eloquent than mine. They evoke feelings, or remind me of the way I want to live my life. They remind me of the spontaneity, joy, wanderlust, curiosity, passion, and creativity that I sometimes have, and always want to hold on to. The fundamental truths of how we want to live our lives are different for everyone, but a lot of mine are expressed nicely in various quotes. They're also just eloquent truths, independent from my values, words that touched me in some way. These are words that inspire people, or provoke thought--words that impact people, like I hope to write someday.


This could be a really long post, but I'll limit myself to ten of my favorite selections from my quote books. I hope you find something in here that means something to you.


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain. 


"No place is boring if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film." -Robert Adams.  For me, that would be an empty memory card, but the heart of it's the same.


"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost." -JRR Tolkein. 


"Sometimes, seizing the day isn't about yourself at all. It's about soaking in life's beautiful moments, even if they're not your own." -Slice of Lemon.


"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." -Carl Sandburg.


"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." -Maya Angelou. 


"Music's the only thing that makes sense anymore. Play it loud enough, it keeps the demons at bay." -Across the Universe (the movie, not the song).


"These are experiences I will never have in Montana. They are stories of a different place, a place I was walking away from. The emotions of that realization bubbled up inside me." -Jon Wick on Bootsnall.com.


"Listen, can you hear it? The music, I can hear it everywhere. In the wind, in the air, in the light. It's all around us. All you have to do is open yourself up." -August Rush.


"Relocating to another continent may not be what our heart desires, but I believe living life fearlessly is. It is fearlessness that allows us to forge the unknown, create new dreams and new possibilities, and confidently reinvent ourselves and our destinies. It is fearlessness that begs us to climb the mountain of 'impossible things.'" -Looking Glass Lane.


What are your favorite quotes?


mountains in the morning
This is a picture I took behind my high school this past spring. It feels forward-looking and somehow appropriate on this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment